Getting Involved in MSCS
Whether you are interested in seminars, excursions, department teas, bowling or ping pong tournaments, you will find many opportunities to enjoy your time in Chicago and in MSCS! Here is what we have in store for you:
- MSCS and our neighboring universities provide you with numerous seminar opportunities.
- The Friday before the start of the Fall term is the date for our annual Department Picnic, which takes place on the lawn south of SEO and usually starts around noon. Come and meet your fellow grad students and MSCS faculty!
- Throughout the academic year the Math Graduate Association hosts Friday Teas each week at 4:15pm in SEO 300. Grad students and faculty sponsor these events, usually featuring a variety of foods. The last Friday of the month is designated as a Wine and Cheese. These Friday events are great opportunities to relax and chat with your MSCS colleagues.
- The Mathematics Graduate Student Association sponsors a number of events for grad students, including ping-pong tournaments during spring break, croquet on the lawn, Ultimate Frisbee, and more.
- The UIC Association for Women in Mathematics Student Chapter sponsors a number of events for all members of the Department, including the AWM Speaker Series and other social and networking events.
- The MSCS Graduate Student Colloquium Series hosts graduate student talks each Fall and Spring semester.
- The MSCS Out in Math student chapter is actively involved with Spectra, The Association for LGBT Mathematicians, and seeks to create an inclusive environment in the Department and in all STEM fields. They address issues relating to LGBTQ mathematicians worldwide and at UIC.
- Perhaps you have your own ideas? No problem! With 160 graduate students in the Department it does not take long to find enough students to join in on your favorite activity!