The majority of our students are funded as teaching assistants, and our TOEFL requirements aim to have international TAs classroom-ready when they arrive on campus:
- Required TOEFL score for Teaching Assistants of 100 on the Internet-based test (ibT), including a minimum ibT Speaking subscore of 23; or IELTS Band score of 7 with four subscores of 7. Report scores via ETS to institutional code 1851.
- Minimum TOEFL score for all international applicants of 100 on the Internet-based test (ibT), with minimum subscores of Reading 19, Listening 17, Speaking 20 and Writing 21; or IELTS Band score of 7 with four subscores of 7.
All international TAs, including those who have met TOEFL admission requirements or had the requirement waived, will be tested by the UIC International Teaching Assistant Program for approval to teach in the classroom.
GRE and TOEFL/IETLS: Heading link
- Neither the GRE General Exam nor the subject exam are required. You may still submit GRE scores; however, an absence of GRE scores will not negatively impact your application.
- All international applicants are required to submit official TOEFL/IELTS scores unless they meet the listed exemptions. Domestic applicants may also be required to submit official TOEFL/IELTS scores if they completed their education outside of the United States.
- English proficiency test scores are considered valid for two years following the test date and must be valid at the time of application.
Exemptions to the English Proficiency Requirements: Heading link
The following applicants may qualify for an exemption to the English Proficiency requirement:
- Applicants from countries where English is the only official language.
- Applicants who have completed two consecutive years of full-time high school or university study in the U.S. or other country where English is the only official language. This exemption is granted only based on official transcripts.
- Applicants who have a minimum of one year full-time employment in the U.S. or other country where English is the only official language. Applicants must submit a letter from their employer verifying at least 12 consecutive months of employment and describing the applicant’s English language ability.
- Test-based exemptions based on official score reports include:
- SAT Critical Reading score of 530 or higher (SAT prior to March 2016) or SAT Evidence-Based Reading and Writing score of 570 or higher (SAT taken March 2016 or later)
- ACT English sub-score of 24 or higher
- AP English Language and Composition score of 4 or higher
- IB score of 5 or higher on the English Language and Literature exam
More International Student requirements can be found here: UIC International student requirements.