How to Apply
New UIC Applicants
Applicants should review the prerequisites for the program of interest to make sure the minimum qualifications have been met. Only applicants who submit a complete application packet will be considered.
Transcripts of all undergraduate and any graduate work must be submitted. In addition to the Graduate College minimum requirements, applicants must meet the following program requirements:
- Tests: The GRE General Exam is required, and the GRE Subject Test (in Mathematics or Computer Science) is recommended. For 2021 admission: The department understands that some students are not able to take the GRE subject test due to COVID19 concerns, and welcome applications without this test.
- Minimum English Competency Test Score
- TOEFL600 (paper-based); 100, with subscores of Reading 19, Listening 17, Speaking 20, and Writing 21 (iBT Internet-based TOEFL), OR,
- IELTS0, with subscores of 7.0 for all four subscores, OR,
- PTE-Academic 54, with subscores of Reading 51, Listening 47, Speaking 53, and Writing 56.
- Letters of Recommendation: Three required from persons familiar with the applicant’s academic work.
- Personal Statement
- UIC Application for Graduate Appointment
Internal Transfer Applicants
Transfer applicants refer to students currently enrolled as degree-seeking students in another graduate program at UIC. These applicants include students interested in concurrently pursuing a second graduate degree in MSCS as well as those interested in leaving their current program to pursue a graduate degree in MSCS. All applicants are considered on a competitive basis.
Master’s Degree candidates in MSCS should also complete steps 1-3 below, to apply for admission to the PhD program.
To receive full consideration, applicants must submit all materials by the deadline:
June 1st for Fall semester admission
November 1st for Spring semester admission
April 1st for Summer semester admission
Required Application Materials for Transfer Applicants
Applicants should have successfully completed 4 courses required from the prerequisites for the program.
Please submit a hard copy of the application packet to the MSCS Graduate Studies office, 339 SEO, containing:
- The UIC Graduate College Application for Graduate Appointment Form, including the personal statement. This serves as the application for admission. Include your University Identification Number (UIN) and your email address with your documentation. Note that most concurrent students are funded by their major department.
- A listing of courses you have taken toward the degree, with terms of enrollment and grades.
- 2 to 3 letters of recommendation are required. Please have your letters of recommendation e-mailed to firstname.lastname@example.org.