Careers in Mathematics
What Do Mathematicians Do?
Mathematicians make it possible to send secure emails and buy things online. Mathematicians are essential to analyze data and design accurate models in fields as diverse as biology and finance. Mathematicians enabled researchers to complete The Human Genome Project quickly. And because of the prevalence of the computer at work and at play, mathematicians will continue to touch everyone in modern society.
More on What Mathematicians Do
Mathematicians are often asked by friends, family, colleagues in other fields, and strangers “What do mathematicians do?”
Here are some resources and facts that may help answer that question.
- What Can I Do with My LAS Major? – Review a Career Snaps guide for your chosen LAS major!
- Explore my Major – Find more information on Mathematics, Statistics, Mathematics and Computer Science (MCS), and Teaching of Mathematics.
- Careers in Applied Mathematics – The Society for Industrial and Applied Mathematics has compiled a brochure regarding careers in applies mathematics and options for STEM majors (i.e., science, technology, engineering, and math).
- Some of What Mathematicians Do, by Martin H. Krieger, Notices of the AMS, November 2004, page 1226
Many people are familiar with mathematicians in academia, but mathematicians also work in many other fields, including:
- Astronomy and space exploration
- Climate study
- National security
- Animated films
and in a wide range of businesses. Here is a sampling of articles about these careers:
- Theory Into Profit: Microsoft Invests in Mathematicians (1998) by Allyn Jackson
- Mathematical Experiences in Business, Industry and Government (2003) by Phil Gustafson
Graduate School Advising Guide
We have conducted a Graduate School Advising Guide which is available in pdf format.
Alternatively you can follow the links below.
For future reference and convenience to you, we also place here the following hot links:
Why Grad School?
An advanced degree in Mathematics, Statistics or Computer Science is the key to a wide variety of career options. Read on to learn more.