Funding and Awards
Where can I find information about the graduate college fellowships and awards?
Information about graduate college fellowships, awards, and more may be found at grad.uic.edu/funding-your-education.
What is the amount allocated for Conference Travel funding?
MSCS allocates a maximum of $400 per student per year for conference travel funding. Apply for travel funding before the travel takes place.
What is the nomination procedure and selection criteria for a Teaching Assistant Award?
For more information, please check:
1. Award selection criteria includes:
*distinguished contribution in the classroom and/or MLC;
*demonstration of leadership with fellow teaching assistants and in the *classroom/MLC; and
*quality of both faculty and student nominations.
2. Nominations may be submitted by: self, fellow TAs, students, faculty, MLC director, and MSCS grad/undergraduate staff.
3. Instructors with TAs, please send the nomination link out to your students and be sure to announce in your classes, so they can nominate their TAs.
4. Instructors evaluating TAs, please remember to nominate your outstanding TAs for the award via the electronic form or by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org directly.
5. TAs also have the option to announce this in their discussion sections.
6. Nominations are reviewed from both the fall and spring semesters. The award(s) is/are recommended by the Graduate Studies Office in consultation with the Head for Instruction, and approved by the MSCS Awards Committee.
How should I manage my TA/RA/RTG Contracts?
Managing your TA/RA/RTG Contracts
It is critical that you read and manage your hiring contracts. If you accept another offer, please be sure to turn in a completed Resignation Release Form to Eve Ali Boles (email@example.com) for the original offer.
For any new contract, your timeliness in completing and returning the document as instructed is also critical.
Please return BOTH pages of your contract, or it will not be valid.
Due to the high volume of contracts being circulated at any given time, your attention to detail is immensely helpful, and greatly appreciated.
A 50% teaching assistantship (TA) requires holding 2 office hours per week, 3 discussion sections (6 hours) in the Fall, and 2 discussion sections (4 hours) in the Spring.
The summer term runs in three parts: the 4-week session, the 8-week session, and the Summer Enrichment Workshop (SEW), which follows two 3-week sessions. Summer assistantships are not guaranteed and generally distributed by seniority. The 4-week session assistantship is generally reserved for outgoing students.
There are markers and pens located in the main office (SEO 322) for TA’s.